Ferrier Marchetti Studio is a Paris and Shanghai based architecture studio. Our work was awarded with numerous international awards, and has been the subject of several monographic exhibitions worldwide.
In 2010, we launched the research lab Sensual City with the philosopher Philippe Simay.
Jacques Ferrier and Pauline Marchetti are further involved in a wider thinking of architecture and the city through teachings, essays and lectures.
Ferrier Marchetti Studio implements strategies that transform ideas into actions and develop innovative project solutions. Our approach relies on different kinds of actions that answer and feed each other:
• Involve the client in a constant co-design process
• Articulate knowledge and know-how by bringing together a wide range of diverse fields around a transversal and collaborative methodology
• Be and remain at the cutting edge of innovation thanks to a strong research and development division
• Create innovative tools that enhance representation and experimentation of architecture (sensitive map, VR) for clients, elected officials and citizens;
• Share and provide our expertise, thanks to a prospective editorial production
Jacques Ferrier is an architect and urban planner. Following his architectural training at the École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Paris-Belleville and the École Centrale de Paris, he created his own architecture firm in Paris in 1993 and has since worked in France and internationally.
His work follows a clear philosophy and aims to create architecture and cities for a creative and sustainable society.
Jacques Ferrier is the author of a number of articles and books and has been the subject of monographs, notably The Architecture of Jacques Ferrier (Thames&Hudson, London). He has been awarded the Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite and the Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres.
Pauline Marchetti is a qualified architect graduated from the École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Paris-Belleville, and a Professor at the École Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs de Paris.
She develops a humanist approach to architecture propounding design and research methods which are based on the sensory dimension of space.
Pauline Marchetti is laureate of the Europe 40Under40 Award by which the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies celebrates the next new talented generation of European architects and designers.
Pauline Marchetti and Jacques Ferrier started collaborating in 2008, when they designed the French Pavilion for the Shanghai World Expo. Since then, they have developed a significant portfolio that combines research and architecture.
Their work has been the subject of several international exhibitions including “Impressionismus” at the Architektur Galerie of Berlin; “Non Oppressive Design” at the DOKK1 in Aarhus and “A Vision for the Sensual City” in Beijing, Shanghai, Manila, Singapore, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur.
The Design Center of the University of Quebec in Montreal dedicated a monographic exhibition to their work, “Entre-Deux”, in autumn 2019.
Pauline Marchetti and Jacques Ferrier lecture widely at prestigious venues, including Columbia University GSAPP, Harvard University Graduate School Of Design and the AIA Center for Architecture. Their work has been published in a wide range of prominent books and magazines, including Arca International, Details, National Geographic and Time Magazine.
Ferrier Marchetti Studio team includes: • Elisa Álvarez • Amela Begovic • Marion Bernard • Ana Clara Bessa • Martial Boucheron • Xiaoyong Cheng • Emmanuel Coudert • Marion Drevet • Jacques Ferrier • Valérie Garachon • François Gastesoleil • Fabien Goutelle • Anne Grosset-Brun • Jue Hou • Nina Juncker • Stéphanie Legrand • Zhaohan Li • Yang Liu • Pauline Marchetti • François Marquet • Estefania Mompean • Hugo de Pablo Vicens • Aurélien Pasquier • Clémentin Rachet • Juliette Saloux • Tingqiu Shen • Wen Shi • Philippe Simay • Ana Rosa Soria • Yu Su • Mahaut de la Tousche • Qiao Wang • Tianyuan Yao
Innovative Places of Work: • Grand Central Saint Lazare, Paris • Region Ile-de-France Headquarters, Saint-Ouen • 3M France headquarters, Cergy-Pontoise • T20 Xujiahui, Shanghai • La Courrouze Offices, Rennes • Quatuor Tertiary Complexe, Angers • CPAM Morbihan Heaquarters, Vannes • Metropole Rouen-Normandie Headquarters, Rouen • DCNS Campus, Toulon • AMDM Headquarters, Montpellier • Yidian Offices Complex, Shanghai • Hachette Livre Headquarters, Vanves • EDF Offices, Tours • Euralille Offices, Lille • Claude Bernard Offices, Paris • Pacific II Shopping Mall, Shanghai • Sulwhasoo Flagship Store, Hong-Kong • Champagne Piper & Heidsieck Headquarters, Reims • Offices Building « Les reflets du Drac » , Grenoble • RATP Offices, Paris • Commercial Court, Nice • SAGEP Water Plant, Joinville-le-Pont • Total Energie Offices, ToulouseMobility: • Passenger Terminal, Sète • Greater Paris Metro Stations, Paris • Bridge, Choisy • Tramway T9 Depot, Orly • Tramway Depot, Bordeaux • Airbus Delivery Centre, Toulouse • « Green Eye » Carpark, Soissons • Air France Maintenance Hub, Roissy • Tramway Depot, Valenciennes • Tenesol Head Office and Factory, Toulouse • Renault Vehicule Testing Facility, GuyancourtEducation / Research: • Collège de France, Paris • French International School, Beijing • Marcel Saupin House of Human Sciences, Nantes • Louis Jouvet High School, Gamaches • Isomère Laboratories, Nantes • INRIA Laboratories, Paris • Interregional Laboratories, Oullins • Cardiological and Pneumological Rehabilitation Centre, Pont d'Héry • Zhuqiao High School, Jiading • Lille University Library, Lille • Ecole des Mines Research Centre, EvryCulture / Leisure / Sport:• Meilleraie Park, Cholet • Co’Met Congress Centre, Orléans • Pudong Congress Centre, Shanghai • La Tuilerie Cultural Centre, Limoux • Arena Restructuration, Lunel • Aqualagon Waterpark, Marne-la-Vallée • French Pavillon at the Shanghai World Expo • Seiling Museum Eric Tabarly, Lorient • Emigration Museum, Tourouvre • Multi-purpose Hall, Le Cannet • Palace Heritage Museum, Xi’An Residential/Hotel: • La Mantilla Residential Buildings, Montpellier • Jardins de la Lironde Residential Complexe, Montpellier • Matinha Residence and Hotel, Lisbon • Porte des Ternes, Paris • Tour Lumière, Tours • Nakara Hôtel, Agde • Housing Complexe, Romainville
• ABB Leaf Awards (Shortlisted) • ADC Award • American Architecture Prize • AMO Prize • Architecture Masterprize • Architizer A+Award • BEX Awards • Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite • Chevalier des Arts et Lettres • Industrial Solar Architecture Prize • International Architecture Award • MIPIM Award • Moniteur Prize • Nomination for the Equerre d’Argent Prize • Nomination for the Grand Prix national de l’Architecture • Trophée Eiffel d’architecture acier • Trophées Bois Ile-de-France • World Architecture Festival Award (Highly Commended Mentions)
• 3M • AEFE Ministère de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères • Air France • Airbus • Amore Pacific / Sulwhasoo • BNP Paribas RE • Bouygues Construction • Bouygues Immobilier • CCI de Nice • Champagnes Piper & Charles Heidsieck • China Fortune Properties • COFRES SAS • Collège de France – OPPIC • Communauté d’Agglomération du Pays de Lorient • Communauté d’Agglomération du Soissonnais • Communauté de Communes du Haut Perche • Communauté de Communes du Limouxin • Communauté Urbaine de Bordeaux • Compagnie de Phalsbourg • Conseil Départemental de la Somme • CPAM du Morbihan • Covico • DDE de Loire-Atlantique • DDE Des Alpes-Maritimes • EDF • Editions Hachette Livre • Eiffage Travaux Publics • Fayat Immobilier • Fondation Arc-en-Ciel • Geoxia • Global Century Exhibition & Travel Development • Groupe Giboire • Groupe Blot Pierre Promotion • Groupe Hydro Building Systems • Groupe Legendre • Groupe Proméo • Groupe SNI • Housing Development Department of Qingpu District • Hudson Advisors • ICADE • Jinqiao Lingang • Lafarge Holcim • Ligne Roset • Loire Océan Métropole Aménagement • Lujiazhui Group • Métropole Rouen Normandie • Mines ParisTech • Ministère de la Justice • Ministère de l’Economie des Finances et de l’Industrie • Mutuelle des Motards • Nacarat • Naval Group • Nexity • Orléans Métropole • Pitch Promotion • PSA • RATP – SEDP • Rectorat de l’Académie de Lille • Régie des Transports de Marseille • Région Occitanie • Renault SA • SADEV 94 • SAGEP • SDIS 44 • SERM Aménagement • SEMDO • Semurval • SET • Shanghai East Bund Investment Group • Shanghai Huanyu Pacific Digital • Shanghai Jiading Administration Committee • Shanghai Land • Shanghai Municipal Leading Group for Development of Huangpu River Banks • Société du Grand Paris • SOGEPROM • STIF • Tenesol • The Carlyle Group • Urbiparc Management • Villages Nature (Pierre et Vacances / Disney) • Villamoura World • Ville de Boulogne-Billancourt • Ville du Cannet • Ville de Lunel • Ville de Nancy • Ville de Paris • Ville de Saint-Germain-en-Laye • We Love Green • Woodeum • Xi’An Qujiang Daming Palace Heritage
Ferrier Marchetti Studio is a unique studio combining research and practice in a quest for innovation and urban delight.
Our process and design explore a new urban condition, finding and developing opportunities for cities to contribute positively to the planet’s eco balance and create a positive relationship between climate and design. Our architecture is not just about designing objects, but about the opportunities that design offers to create positive and meaningful relationships between buildings and people, contributing to a more holistic, sustainable and sensual world.
Our architecture moves beyond the purely aesthetic consideration of objects to create meaningful relationships between people, spaces and places.
Buildings shall accept and adapt to climate rather than deny it: we design buildings which expose or protect themselves as and when needed. .
We seek an intense material presence, using everyday resources to better reveal their potential.
We design from a humanistic perspective, with pleasure in mind, seeking to enhance the quality of life through the blurring of disciplinary barriers to create whole experiences.
Our work celebrates the micro as well as the macro, with a sensual focus on material, details and craftsmanship.
Our approach is not just about a few superficial areas of greenery, rather it is the integrated physical expression of ecosystems developing within the very heart of the city.
We aim at designing mobility infrastructures that seek opportunities to create thriving public spaces.
Our process is permeable, allowing aspects of an individual project, related to its location and history.